Bunnies aren’t the only animals that get to enjoy eating carrots this time of year! Carrots are possibly the most nutritious vegetable for dogs. They are low in calories and high in antioxidants, beta carotene, and soluble and insoluble fiber. The carrots in this recipe are pureed, but chunks or slices of carrots or baby carrots can be fed as a snack to help clean your dog’s teeth naturally. Frozen carrots also make a great chew-toy for puppies that are teething.
Carrot Mini Muffins
Makes 38 muffins
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 medium carrots, peeled, shredded
1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 pinch cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Combine the honey, oil, egg, and carrots in a bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon.
4. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and stir well to combine.
5. Line a mini muffin tin with paper liners, and spray each one lightly with cooking spray. Fill each mini muffin cup about 2/3 of the way full with the batter.
6. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 16 minutes.
Store these treats in the refrigerator.