There’s no doubt that your dog will beg and beg for more of these delicious bacon treats! But just like humans, dogs shouldn’t overindulge in rich, fatty foods, so these meaty biscuits should be given only sparingly as a special treat.
It’s important when making this recipe to be sure to cook the bacon until it’s really crispy and to drain it very, very well. After pouring the grease off of the cooked bacon, take the time to pat any remaining grease off of the bacon slices using a paper towel.
Makes about 2 dozen (2-inch long) treats
5 thick-cut slices bacon, cooked well, drained, and crumbled
4 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, plus more for dusting
2 cups water
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Combine the crumbled bacon with the flour.
3. Stir the water into the dry ingredients, and knead the mixture by hand until it forms a smooth dough.
4. Generously dust the countertop with flour, and roll the dough out to about 1/4-inch thick. Cut the dough into pieces using your desired cookie cutter.
5. Arrange the treats on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake until the treats are firm to the touch, about 20 minutes.
Since these treats contain meat, they must be stored in the refrigerator.