There isn’t a more natural snack for your dog than these oven-dried apple crisps. You can use any type of apple that you have handy, although I think Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, or Pink Lady apples work best. You can choose to leave the apples plain (as I did in this batch) or sprinkle a little ground cinnamon on the sliced apples before baking them. Especially with a touch of cinnamon, these make a fantastic snack for you to share with your doggie, too.
Please do not be intimidated by the extremely long cooking time of this recipe. You can literally just pop the sliced apples into the oven and forget about them for about 7 hours. The oven temperature is so low (170°F) that you can really go about your day without worry. Just be sure to set a timer so that you don’t completely forget about them!!
1. Preheat the oven to 170°F, or as low as your oven will allow.
2. Carefully peel and core the apple. Using a mandoline or a sharp slicing knife, cut the apple into slices as thin as possible (1/8-inch or thinner).
3. Arrange the apple slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. The slices can be placed very close together but should not overlap.
4. Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake until the apple slices are dry and crisp, about 7 hours.
5. Allow the apple crisps to cool completely before removing from the parchment paper and serving.
These treats should be stored in an airtight container.